Monday, March 25, 2019

IF A TREE FALLS IN A FOREST AND NO ONE IS THERE, IS THERE A SOUND?
This question recently was brought to mind by a clerk in sandwich shop. To me, it is one of the great ministries of our time. I was recently in a sandwich shop near where I live. The shop is part of a small chain started by an acquaintance of mine in Boulder. It is staffed by college age young people who like their music. In fact, they like it so well that it is very difficult for patrons of the business to hear anything or have a conversation. However, the employees seem oblivious to the situation.
I went into the establishment today at lunch time to buy a sandwich. I got some potato chips and the soft drink and sat down waiting for someone to call me to pick up my order. A customer would go to the counter, placed his order, pay for the order, and sit down awaiting its preparation, which I did. After sitting an inordinate amount of time, a customer came over and asked me if I had ordered a brisket sandwich. I had I told him, and he informed me that it was at the counter. I went to the counter and told the employee that one of their customers had told me that my order was ready. He looked at me and said to mean, I called out four times that the order was ready," looking and treating as though I were the village idiot. I explained with music level is high as it was, I didn’t hear him. Rather than apologize, he looked at me rather disdainfully stating, "I called it out for times."
For some reason, his explanation and consummate arrogance minority. So, I walked away before I exited establishment, I decided that I would register a complaint. I went back to the order taker and explained that I was not happy that the employee blame me for not being able to hear
his announcement that my sandwich was ready. The response was a blank stare finally to the person who called out to sandwich in said that I thought it was a knowing that I was blamed for not hearing the sandwich announcement with the music blurring so hard which I believe was reasonable considering that there should be no doubt that I was a septuagenarian. A coworker was standing next to that I was to find out later was a manager. When my comment received a shrug, I expressed the opinion to the employee that I thought he was "fucking rude." At that point the other gentlemen, claiming to be the manager, said he was calling the police because I used profanity toward his employee. It seemed to have made his day that a 20-year-old manager could threaten an old man with calling the police. I told him to go ahead and call them since I didn’t believe I had committed a criminal offense. Meanwhile the subject of me not receiving I sandwich had yet to be addressed. Apparently, twice the post pubescent manager ordered me to leave which is the prerequisite for involving police.
I became more and more annoyed with the situation as I left the facility. I could not understand how the employee could believe it was my fault that I couldn’t hear my order being called and the manager didn’t feel he should apologize for the fact that I didn’t get my sandwich. The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got at the manager threatened for BN dissatisfied and threatened me with police action. So back to the original question, was there a sound or did the tree even fall?
Why does a whole generation of citizens feel they are entitled to be offended by people getting upset with their go to hell attitude? What is there about the culture, society, or upbringing that causes them to blame others for their own shortcomings? I really don’t feel it is my fault that it is somewhat difficult for me to hear at my age. I really don’t believe it’s my fault for getting frustrated and angry pending $15 for a sandwich that I didn’t get. Why did the employee think that by informing me that he had called out for times announcing the sandwich, that this excused
his conduct or lack of concern for a customer? Why was she so gleeful putting an old man in his place, and threatening a customer of police action because he just been ripped off for almost $20 by the shop? What someone please explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment